purchase & buy back AGREEMENT
THE PURCHASE & BUY BACK PROGRAM of Around the Block Moto Adventures, LLC
This is a one-of-a-kind program, and you need to understand the details before you jump into it:
In order to purchase, prepare, paper, and insure a new motorcycle for you here in Peru, we must have FULL payment up front, and at least 4 weeks before your arrival in Peru. Used ones are usually ready to go and don’t require the lead time, but DO require the FULL payment in order to reserve.
Why do we need the full amount for new motorcycles? Even the local dealer here in Huánuco that we order the motorcycles through has to pay up front in order to get the new motorcycle sent from Lima. That is just the system. Then we have to pay to process the owners card and license plate, plus all the labor and parts we put into it to make it Epic Trip ready.
Why do we need at least 4 weeks for new motorcycles? Once you deposit your payment, we have to do an International Wire Transfer to Peru in order to purchase the stock motorcycle. The Huánuco dealer orders it from Lima. When it arrives we have it delivered to the shop where we will begin to prepare it. Meanwhile we have to sign papers and chase them through the system. Once the owner’s card comes out (14 days), we have to apply for the license plate and wait 7 days for it. Once the license plate is on it, we can take it to the insurance company and get it insured. Once completely prepped, we have to seat the engine in, make any corrections or adjustments, and change out the break in oil. If there are government holidays, the paperwork takes extra time.
Even if you are buying a used ‘Made-New’ bike from us, we need the FULL payment up front. We are a small operation and don’t have the capital to BUY BACK everyone’s motorcycle after their Epic Ride just like that. If the rider confirms with us that they are returning to take advantage of the UNLIMITED TIME OR KMS BUY BACK we offer, and can tell us approx. when they are coming back, we offer that motorcycle to YOU, available and ‘Made-New’ again by a certain date. So when you are pre-buying a used motorcycle through us, we can now use a portion of that to BUY BACK the motorcycle from the rider coming in, and the rest to ‘make it new again’ and prep it for you as the new owner.
Yes, sending off $$ to someone you don’t know to buy a motorcycle sight unseen requires trust. That is why we encourage you read the details on the website, ask all your questions, read the blogs of others who have gone before you doing a similar ride, and even talk to former customers (we can give you their contact information upon request). AROUND THE BLOCK MOTO ADVENTURES, LLC is a USA (Maine) based business with a formal website, taxes paid, and USA business bank and Paypal accounts.
We can also talk face-to-face on SKYPE if you would like. We will send you regular pictures of the preparation of your motorcycle through the whole procedure, as we fit it to your specific needs. Our past customers are happy to talk to you also about us, the motorcycle they rode, and the Epic Ride they had. We don’t hide anything. Even the blogs of riders who had problems with their motorcycles are included on the website!
More time is always better. This is because sometimes the model (or color) motorcycle you want may not readily available immediately. Also, depending on the extras you might want, we may have to wait on a shipment of accessories from outside of Peru. We also may be booked preparing motorcycles for others and not be able to fit your request in if left to just one month before.
Why do you do this in Huánuco, Peru, and not the capitol city of Lima? There are many reasons:
- The taxes on motorcycles and parts (18%), does not apply in Huánuco as it is a duty-free zone. That savings can be passed on to you.
- Huánuco is right on the central 3N/3S route where you want to be. Lima is a city of 10+ million with dangerous traffic. There is a reason that motorcycle insurance in Lima, for the same motorcycle, costs 4X as much there! From Huánuco you can easily head south to Cuzco and beyond, or north to Cajamarca, Chachapoyas, and Ecuador. Even if you drop down to the coast, AVOID Lima, especially the northern and eastern entries/exits. In and out via the southern route is not too bad if you are just going to Miraflores or vicinity. Even so, I don’t recommend riding around IN Lima.
- Paperwork in Huánuco is local, professional, easy and efficient, VERY UNLIKE Lima. The change of name (to you) for a Huánuco originated motorcycle requires less than 4 working days. For Lima it costs more and usually requires 14 working days. That could create problems for you trying to cross borders before the process completes. We cover all costs of paperwork for the motorcycle.
- Huánuco is a short inexpensive flight from Lima with 3 planes a day. There are also 12 or so (quite comfortable) buses a day from a reputable company we use between Lima and Huánuco.
It is well worth it to be centered out of Huánuco for the reasons stated above (flight and bus details at end of the agreement).
You will need to plan for a morning in Lima as you come through the capitol to get your PERMISO DE FIRMAR CONTRATOS COMO TURISTA stamped in your passport. What is this? It is a permission given to you to be able to sign contracts as a foreign tourist in Peru (such as buying a motorcycle and transferring it into your name). In order to be able to leave Peru with the motorcycle it MUST be in your name. If your Epic Ride will only be in Peru (and even 3 months is not enough time to see all the wonders of Peru!), we still need to put it in your name in case of accident or resale.
You get this permission by getting yourself, your passport, and approx. $5 USD to the MIGRACIONES office in Lima on a non-holiday Monday thru Friday, 8 am to 3 pm. If you get there first thing in the morning, you should be done this step in less than 2 hours, in time to catch an afternoon flight to Huánuco (flight details at end ) or the overnight sleeping bus.
Plan a day or two for testing of your new motorcycle on rides around Huánuco BEFORE you head off on your Epic Ride. Yes, we seat the new engine in so you don’t have to worry about that detail, but we want you to test it for a day or two and bring it back with adjustments needed and perhaps a concern or two that we can attend to BEFORE you are off and a long way from us!
This also goes for our used ‘Made-New’ motorcycles, as they also all get new frame and engine rebuilds. Getting your luggage right by testing and customizing the racks and straps can even take a day! But it is better than finding the issues out down the road when you don’t have a mechanic and welding shop at your disposal!
What if I have to cancel BEFORE we even transfer the motorcycle into my name? This could happen. We will work with you to get you your money back as soon as possible by selling it to another rider for the price you paid. We will charge a 10% fee for this and get you your money as soon as it is sold. This will be a top priority.
What if I am forced to change my plans and shorten my trip once I head off? We still offer the same UNLIMITED BUY BACK plan no matter the time out or kms traveled. As we promise to completely rebuild the bike again for the next rider no matter how little use, and we expend the same amount doing this, the single BUY BACK price stands. When this happens unplanned it is harder for us to find a buyer on such short notice, but we will work with you.
The BUY BACK we offer is OPTIONAL. Once you head off on your ride, the motorcycle is yours and completely your responsibility. At any time you can choose to:
- Sell it or give it away to anyone within Peru. This is legal. Make sure you do the paperwork to get it out of your name. To do this you may need a current PERMISO DE FIRMAR CONTRATOS, as the original one was only for 30 days. This can only be done in Peru border cities or Cuzco or Lima.
- Sell it or give it away to anyone OUTSIDE of Peru (even abandoning it). This is illegal (except in a few tax-free zones) as it is a Peruvian registered motorcycle that entered that other country on a TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit) agreement, free of taxes. Leaving it behind in another country is Tax Fraud. No, you won’t be able to just offer to pay the taxes. You would have to exit that country with the moto, then re-enter processing the moto as an importation, requiring hiring customs agents, special paperwork, taxes and fees, all at the border. Unless you do this, the new owner will never be able to legally register the motorcycle in that country. Thus you may not get such a good price for it.
Know also, that in South America any accident involving your motorcycle or any crime committed with your motorcycle falls as the responsibility of the OWNER of the motorcycle. That means that even if you sell it or give it away in another country, as the new owner will NOT be able to get papers in his/her name, YOU will continue to be that owner!
Can you just sell it, give it away, or abandon it anyways? Sure! In South America you can leave a country WITHOUT your motorcycle even if you entered WITH IT, but once the TVIP expires (usually 90 days from when you entered) and the motorcycle hasn’t left the country, two things will happen: (1) The ADUANA will order a ‘’police capture’ for the motorcycle, it will then become the possession of the state and (2) the charge of Tax Fraud will be attached to your passport and you won’t be able to return to that country in the future without risking possible arrest. So choose a country you plan to never return to!
If you have a serious accident on the motorcycle, and it is basically not repairable, and you have the accident documented by the Police of the area in which it happened, then this is the only possibility where you can legally abandon your motorcycle and NOT have it considered as Tax Fraud. As paperwork in Police stations sometimes is lost in the works, it would be best if you carried a copy of said document for exiting or re-entering that country should there be an issue.
It goes without saying that you will want to keep your motorcycle in good working condition, not just for your ride, but for the BUY BACK. When the motorcycle comes back we check it over and pull the head and the cylinder to see if there is any damage due to overheating or low quality lubrication. Scarred valve rocker arms or camshaft and deep cylinder grooves always tell the story. If there is damage, we will assess the cost of the damage and discount that from the agreed BUY BACK amount. We are not concerned with wear items that will be replaced anyway or rubbed off paint. We are just looking at non-wear broken things from abuse, falls or accidents.
ALWAYS and ONLY use the MOTUL 7100 Full Synthetic 20W50 oil. You can get this all over South America. These motos are maxed out when we load them with everything, our own weight and our luggage and ask them to cross the Andes passes or the Amazon jungle mud. Take it easy on them! The TORQUE, TRITON, and X-TERRA models are designed for dirt tracks, so don’t ask more than 70 kph, and give them the daily care they require and they will take you anywhere! The other models (some of which have 6 speeds) can do more, but only on flat pavement. 33 motos prepared by us have already gone almost everywhere in South America.
- If you go to any of the Salares (Salt Flats), BEWARE! The salt gets into EVERYWHERE and begins to corrode! If the salt flat is dry then feel free to go out and test, photo op, etc., but keep the speeds down so that the tires don’t throw the salt up into every component of the motorcycle (especially the wiring!!). Then go to the nearest town and get a good long pressure washing !!
- If the salt flat is wet, and you go ride on it, you will quickly destroy your trip. Maybe not right then, but 500 kms down the road EVERYTHING will begin to go wrong! If you bring the motorcycle back for the BUY BACK after riding on a wet salt flat, even if you washed it well, we will know and consider it MAJOR DAMAGE. The world famous DAKAR riders discovered this in 2014 in Bolivia and REFUSED to participate in the event the following year if the route took them onto the Salt Flats in January!!
I, ____________________________________ WISH TO PURCHASE A _______________________________ UNDER THE CONDITIONS ABOVE STIPULATED (3 pages). I UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY AND AT MY COST TO FORWARD $_______________ TO THE AROUND THE BLOCK MOTO ADVENTURES, LLC USA BUSINESS PAYPAL OR BANK ACCOUNT. ATBMA WILL COVER ALL FURTHER BANK TRANSFER CHARGES AFTER THAT. I UNDERSTAND THAT THE UNLIMITED TIME AND KMS BUY BACK PRICE REFLECTS THE AMOUNT STIPULATED ON THE WEBSITE TODAY, __________________ AND WILL BE HELD AT $____________ USD.
Lima to Huanuco by bus: we can only recommend one very safe bus company for the route to Huánuco, and that is GM TRANSPORTES. They can be found near downtown Lima at 1275 Jr. 28 de Julio in the district of La Victoria. Although you will find the company online, you must go in person to purchase the tickets. The website says you can reserve your seat online. It doesn’t work! To get the best seat(s) usually takes buying your ticket 2 or 3 days in advance. Since you might not have that time, if you send us your passport name, number and nationality, we can purchase your ticket for you and have it waiting when you go to the bus station 1 hr. before your departure. Just go to the ticket counter and show your passport.
Arriving in Huánuco: When you get to Huánuco, just grab a MotoTaxi and tell them to take you to LA MORGUE en LOS PORTALES. They will know. Our neighborhood still doesn’t have street names or numbers! The moto shop and business is across the street(ish) from the Ministerio de Salud blue and white building (OK, it IS the morgue!) and is called MACEDO RACING. Our apartment and B&B is just down to the end of the block, same side, 4 story brown tile apt. building.
USA phone (rings in Peru): (207) 809-0663 Cell phone is: 961-990-001
(English or Spanish)