2-Day Machu Picchu Excursion
Day 1 6 am - Catch early Cuzco - Machu Picchu train to the km 104 station.
- Disembark and begin 4 hr Inca Trail hike arriving at Machu Picchu through the 'Gate of the Sun' (where all the famous fotos of MP are taken from)
- You will only have a short viewing of Machu Picchu citadel before boarding the bus down to Aguas Calientes and your hostel. Tomorrow you will have most of the day up at the citadel.
- Visit the natural hot mineral sulfer baths in Aguas Calientes if you wish.
Day 2 - After breakfast, you catch bus up to the Machu Picchu citadel.
- You will be earlier than the tourists who arrive by train that day, so if you choose to climb Huayna Picchu (peak behind Machu Picchu and where the recent discovery of the Temple of the Moon is) you should do that first.
- Explore ruins with bilingual guide if desired.
- Catch bus down to train station around 3 pm.
- Train back to Cuzco arriving 9:00 pm.
Notes: During the rainy season (late December to March), it is a MUST to bring at least a plastic poncho (easily purchased in Cuzco). It is ALSO the most beautiful time as everything is so green and the 'lost city' is often lost in the clouds giving it a feeling of mystery and enchantment!
The Inca Trail IS a trail! Although it is not steep, it is narrow (2 ft wide) at times. The shoe you use should have traction. There WILL be many stone stairs. There is no rush, you can take your time. After adapting to Cuzco, you will not feel the altitude much here. If you often have knee issues, I recommend a knee support.
You CAN skip the Inca Trail hike, even at the last minute if you wish. The only difference is that you will stay on the train all the way to Aguas Calientes, then ride the bus up to the citadel to later recieve the others that went on the trail. But I DO encourage you to take the trail if you can! It will be very inspiring!
The temps should be between 65 and 75 degrees F (19 to 24 C) and very humid. Even though it is around 8,000 ft, you are in the mountain jungle. When the sun comes out after a rain, it will be very steamy.